Equality at Fircroft
Equality Objectives 2019 - 2023
The Equality Act 2010 was introduced to ensure protection from discrimination, harassment and victimisation on the grounds of specific characteristics (referred to as protected characteristics). For schools, this means that it is unlawful to discriminate against pupils or treat them less favourably because of their gender; race; disability; religion or belief; gender reassignment; sexual orientation; pregnancy or maternity.
The Equality Act says that schools and other public bodies must:
- encourage good relations and ensure everyone has equality of opportunity
- eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- help make sure everyone has an equal chance to make the most of their lives and talents.
In line with our duties under the Equality Act, we assess our existing practices in relation to equality and consider objectives to help us improve further.
These objectives are:
- promote an understanding, awareness and respect of different beliefs between different groups within our school community
- monitor and promote the involvement of all groups of pupils in the extra-curricular life of the school, including leadership opportunities, especially pupils with special educational needs and disabilities
- actively close gaps in attainment and achievement between pupils and all groups of pupils; especially pupils eligible for free-school meals, pupils with special educational needs and disabilities, looked after children and pupils from minority ethnic groups
More information can be found on the Equalities Act 2010.